So, Everyone out there who is frustrated with the speed of their computers. They way technology is progressing these days, our old computers are getting outdated at a faster pace than ever. So, what to do if you have a slow or old computer. Well, the best option would be to upgrade your RAM. it is cheapest method to increase computer performance and has the maximum impact, But if you do not want to spend even a penny, here is a solution for you. You can Use your External devices like memory cards or pendrives as an external Page file (or Cache memory) to boost up your PC Speed. If your ram is anything less than 1 GB, this method will make drastic changes in your PC Performance.
There are two ways of doing it. Either using Software or by manual. Both methods are pretty simple. If you are using Windows Vista or later, Software method is pretty good. In Xp, you get limited options but cna do so using Manual method. So get ready to increase your Computer speed for Free:
Using Software to Increase PC Speed:
- Ready Boost: (Windows Vista/Windows 7)
One very cool feature of Windows Vista – especially for machines not natively equipped with the kind of horsepower to fully enjoy the rich visuals of Windows Presentation Foundation (Avalon) applications is ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost enables you to plug a USB key into your machine and have Windows Vista use it as memory. To start Ready boost, just plug your USB device into your PC. I use my old 2 Gb San Disk Pen drive for this purpose. You can use memory card as well. If auto play is not working, just go to Start and type Readyboost. With ready boost, your Pen drive’s Auto play will give an option of using it with ready boost with the message Speed up my system.
Click on that and you are ready to go. Select cache size, Auto play and other options. Now whenever your system does not have enough memory, it will go to cache of your Pendrive.
2. EBoostr (Windows Xp,Windows Vista, Windows 7)
Ready Boost is not available on old version of windows. So if you are using XP, Microsoft has nothing for you. Well, the good thing is we do care and i personally find Xp, the best OS from Microsoft. So what to do? There is Software called eBoostr which work similarly to Ready boost.
You can specify cache size, auto play etc. But its free version is available for 1 month only. But it gives you another month after that. And then you can uninstall and reinstall to use it again.
Manually Increasing Page File Size to Speed by Computer
- Go to Start. Right Click My Computer >> Properties >> Advanced. A window will open like the one shown below
- Click on Performance and then go to Advanced. Now, in this window Click on Advanced Tab and then on the Change button.
- Now select the Pendrive or Memory Card and choose the Option Custom Size.
- Now according to the Memory available in the selected Pendrive, fill the Initial size and Maximum size with the required Size and Click on OK
- It’s Done and you have increased your PC’s Page file. The Computer will show great increase in Speed. You didn’t have to spend money for purchasing a new RAM.
This is the entire method for Increase Computer Speed Using USB Devices. This whole procedure takes five minutes to be completed. I hope this can be terribly useful for you. If you found this Increase Computer Speed Using USB Devices tutorial helpful for you then share your comments with us and share this article on social media along with your friends.